I was planning to take the weed eater brush cutter whatever to deal with the forest garden yesterday but the damn thing will start, but it will pass out after a while and just won’t idle. I sent it in for a service a while back for the same issue and the shop said they replaced the clutch because it was worn… well, I’ve not used it ever since I got it back, don’t tell me the clutch worn while in storage. I am really tempted to biff it because not all shop will service it, and the one that does is not in a convenient location. However, I happened to have drop some cash and bought a pole pruner attachment for it last Boxing Day, so, there’s the dilemma there. Anyway, McCulloch is the brand, and the only place that service it in Christchurch is in St Albans.
Anyway, the forest garden still need dealing with before the hedge mustard goes to seed completely, dries up, and becomes a fire hazard. I turned to my trusted Fiskars X3 Brush Hook. It took me much longer than the brush cutter, but I got it done in the end. I stepped down the cleavers in the process, and that seem to work well as they just crunched up and cling on to each other and form a mat on the ground. From the photo above, you can see that the spaces are more open now.
Rainfall last week, 3mm. We have a high of 26.8dC and a low of 0.2dC. Bumped into the eCan guy doing the river flow reading and he said that we are closed to water restriction level. This dryness to come made me put serious thought into the design on the new property. Water will be a key priority. In fact, there’s already a restriction on now that you can do alternate days hosing.
The main water concern is the Biointensive vegetable garden, there’s going to be about 60m2 of it, and each m2 needs about 5mm of water a day, that’s 300mm, or 300L of water a day. Put it this way, that 3mm of rainfall last week ain’t going to make a dent at all.
The sweetcorn are just popping their head through.
Germinating weeds from seeds. Nitrogen fixing weeds. I got to remind myself to collect some seeds from that broom by the road later.
The Lady flowering.
And my favorite Austin Rose.
The Orchard Cottage this week. Clearly noticeably spaciousness in the Forest Garden. Bluebells, daffodils, and saffron have all been dug out and stored in compost in mushroom boxes. Ideally I should have used sawdust, but I have an abundance of pretty dry compost, so it will do.
Exciting things, I’m going to get a trio of flat peaches and nectarine for the new place. Just thinking, with 9 peaches and nectarines, it will be a pretty ugly sight if they are all covered in leaf curl. The wildflowers craze is coming along, but this time I am restricting to just the low growing blend. I’m going to be growing figs and olives in pots. And some of the olive cuttings are still green, which probably means that they are rooting! Yays!